What Are The Different Forklift Power Types?
There are three forklift power types: electric, petrol and diesel. Which one you should use will depend on the application, run-time requirements, number of shifts and environment of your company. Understanding the differences between the different power types, as well as their advantages and disadvantages, will help you to determine which one to use in a particular situation.
In this article, you’ll discover the pros and cons of each forklift power type.
Electric forklifts are quick and easy to manoeuvre and are typically used indoors.
- Environmentally friendly — electric forklifts don’t emit any greenhouse gases
- Quieter than LP or diesel-fueled forklifts
- Cheaper to maintain
- Better capacity and stability
- Lightweight and concentrated mass of battery for easy manoeuvrability
- Fewer waste fluids
- Weaker performance in cold/wet applications
- Forgetting to charge the battery may lead to significant productivity loss
- You must have a suitable electrical outlet that can meet the voltage requirement
Gas forklifts are suitable for indoor and outdoor use, making them ideal for businesses that require versatility.
- Limited downtime
- Quieter and more environmentally friendly than diesel forklifts
- Great acceleration, travel and lift speeds
- Rear view visibility is hampered due to placement of the propane tank
- Higher fuel costs
- Freezing temperatures could cause reliability issues
- Maintenance costs are higher than electric forklifts
Diesel forklifts are built to withstand some of the toughest conditions, making them suitable for use on rough terrain and inclement weather.
- Durable for outdoor applications
- Powerful for better acceleration and increased speed lifts
- Can perform well on hills
- Long engine life
- Unsuitable for indoor use
- Produce harmful carbon emissions
A East Midlands Forklifts, we supply all types of forklifts to customers across the East Midlands. No matter the application, we have a forklift to help. You can either buy our forklifts outright or higher them for short or long-term use. We also supply forklift parts and provide a full maintenance service to reduce downtime. Turnarounds are quick and we even offer on-site surveys should you require it.
Contact our team today to find out how we could help your business.