Electric, Diesel Or LPG/Gas? What Power Should I Use For My Forklift?
There are a number of different ways in which you can power your forklifts. Here, we run through the three main sources of power for forklifts, listing their relative benefits and disadvantages to help you decide which is best for your forklift and your requirements.
- This type of power is the most environmentally friendly, producing no fumes during operation
- Easier to drive than engine-powered machines, in general, as no clutch or inching pedal
- Lower maintenance and servicing costs than other types of power
- Clean and quiet to operate
- Higher initial cost due to the requirement for a battery and charger
- Cannot be used whilst the battery is being charged
- Unsuitable for prolonged use in wet weather
- Ideal for outdoor use as exhaust fumes can escape into the atmosphere
- More fuel efficient than LPG powered engines
- Superior performance to electric alternatives, with better acceleration and speed lifts
- Available for use at any time of the day or the night as do not require recharging
- Noisier in operation than electric-powered forklifts
- Produce harmful emissions and have a high carbon footprint, making them less environmentally friendly than other options
- They need more space to operate in as they are of a bulkier size
- Cheaper to buy new than diesel-powered forklifts
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors usage, whatever your requirements for your forklift usage
- Quieter than diesel alternatives, creating less noise pollution
- Also create less harmful emissions than diesel-powered forklifts, thus making them more environmentally friendly
- Though cheaper to buy new, their maintenance and fuel costs are the highest of all three types of power
- Require annual winter service using antifreeze which, again, raises their costs
- Less environmentally friendly than electric-powered forklifts
Though none of the three power options for running your forklift come without disadvantages, it is clear that some of these solutions are more suitable for certain premises or projects than others. With this information, customers can make their own informed decisions on which type of forklift power will suit them best, saving money and time in the process.
We have forklift trucks to suit any size of budget, and refurbished forklifts allow companies a cheaper material lifting solution.Used Forklift Sales
Here at East Midlands Forklifts, all our teams are fully qualified in the provision of a number of forklift types and models. Whether hiring or purchasing a forklift, our expert team can provide said machine before performing a thorough examination inspection on the vehicle to ensure its utmost safety and functionality for you and your team, whatever its fuel type. For more information on this or any of our other services, get in touch with us today. We’ll be happy to help with any enquiries you may have.